||In this 3-day workshop we focus on the elements of master French Fauvist painter Henri Matisse’s expressive painting style. We will work from some of his celebrated paintings to learn more about the elements emphasized—flattened space, pattern, color and intimate interiors. Discussions will focus on learning from master painters and incorporating elements to create your own unique style. We will work from photographs or you can bring your own “Matisse-like” images as inspiration.
Elements of Matisse’s style
Contrasting areas of pure saturated colors
Flattened pictorial space
Personal vocabulary of objects
Simplicity as a conscious choice
Pattern, fabrics, flowers, density of ornamentation
“Intimist" focus-interiors, still life, portraits, windows
Value of decoration
Heavily influenced by art from other cultures
Joie de vivre (the joy of living)
1. Water container
2. Drawing pencil or permanent pen, spiral sketchbook, scotch tape
3. inspiration images-photos, magazine images, swatches (anything you find inspiring)
4. paper for collage (anything you might have)
5. Synthetic or bristle “bright” brushes- 1⁄2", 1", 2"
6. Matte Medium-small jar plus inexpensive foam brush
7. Basic palette of acrylics: Artist quality Acrylic paints small tubes- cadmium yellow light, cadmium yellow medi-um, ultramarine blue, pthalo blue, cadmium red medium, cadmium red light, quinacridone magenta, ivory black, titanium white,
8. Paper towels or rags
9. Pad of disposable palette sheets or parchment paper for mixing paint.
10. 1 painting surface/day- inexpensive canvases or canvas panels 16” × 20” or larger in rectangles or squares (your choice).
*I will supply lots of mixed media tools (collage paper, crayons, pencils, etc.) for you to use but please bring some of these things if you have them. Don’t feel like you have to go buy them. Take some time to clip pictures from maga-zines that depict interiors with colors or compositions that you love, or take photos on your phone of scenes that inspire you.